ABOUT SARAH VOGL
I'm a 23 year-old self-taught designer and photographer located in Southwest Virginia. I have a passion for creating identities through design and capturing personalities through photography. My favorite kind of art is that which practically organizes information to communicate both a visual and verbal message. I have about four years of experience doing so, as well as some web/mobile design and social media marketing.
Gray Matters is about creative problem solving, learning through collaboration and treading the middle-ground. I studied religion in college which fueled my fascination with things that aren't black-and-white. In my work and in life I aspire to seek understanding and develop solutions by engaging the gray area and discriminating the details.
When I'm not doing something design or photography related, I'm making music, hiking and hammocking, or snuggling up with my cats and a book.
Good design builds credibility. Good design should be affordable and accessible for all businesses, organizations and individuals who value visual communication. Let me help you unify your visual brand. There's no project too big or too small, so let's talk!
- Logos and branding
- Album art
- Posters, flyers, menus, booklettes, etc.
- Social media graphics and campaigns
- Squarespace/Tumblr websites (wait, what?)
I love capturing candid moments. I believe in very little planning for most of my portrait sessions because the place where human spontaneity meets technical art is what I love most about my work. I start with a simple idea, a unique location and let improvisation decide the rest.
- I know hiring a photographer can be daunting, so I wrote out some frequently asked questions to help you.
- If you're nervous about being in front of a camera, I'm probably the photographer for you! I use minimal equipment and I shy away from posing. Instead, I try to capture candid and natural moments.
- All packages include post-processing, basic retouching and a framed print.
- Best quality JPEG files are shared for download via Google Drive. (NO watermarks!)
Lifestyle Portrait Sessions ($150)
- 1 hour, 25+ photos
- One 5 x 7 framed print of your choice
- A laid-back, natural light session for one. Good for senior portraits, birthday gifts, fashion, bloggers, etc.
Couples & Families Sessions ($200)
- 1 hour, 25+ photos
- Two 5 x 7 framed prints of your choice
- Couples, engagements, proposals, friends, families, children and other groups. Special announcements, anniversary gifts, Christmas cards or just because!
Creative & Studio Sessions ($300+)
- 2 hours, 40+ photos
- One 11 x 17 print of your choice
- Design a shoot around a particular idea, aesthetic or brand. Capture your people, products and process. Good for businesses, entrepreneurs, bloggers, musicians, etc.
Weddings & events
Rates vary. Contact me!
When I came to Sarah to ask about design work for my debut studio album, I was unfamiliar with her work. Soon after our collaboration began I realized my luck. Throughout the entirety of my album's production, Sarah remained accessible and engaged, always offering quality input coupled with bold, creative plans for the album all at a generous rate. I will be consulting Sarah for future projects and I would recommend her to anyone in need of design or consultation. Her work is distinct, sharp, and speaks for itself. - DANIEL AYERS
A constant delight both in photography and in conversation, contact this stellar woman for all your portrait needs. Much love - JULIA MELLO
Is there a 10-star option? Sarah is professional and incredibly talented. Sessions with her are fun and she produces top quality pictures. No more "smile and tilt your head" photos, Sarah makes you smile genuinely - resulting in excellent portraits. I 100% recommend her! - GRACE MONGER
Sarah is a top notch photographer who will not only produce great photos, but will do so in her own, humanistic style. Lots of people's photos I see too often resemble a catalogue-esque gloss, but Sarah has a way of letting her subjects person really seep into the images she creates. She accomplishes this obviously because she is talented, but also through her warm personality that allows anyone to be themselves around her. - DAVID HALL
Sarah is amazingly personable and personal with each photo shoot she does. She doesn't do the same old thing for everyone, she is different and inspiring. She makes sure you feel comfortable and is overall great! - EMMA KESSLER
Recently had the pleasure of working with Sarah! We captured amazing shots and she made me feel incredibly comfortable in front of the camera. If you're looking to work with someone who has a creative eye, loads of talent, and a great personality to boot, Sarah's your woman! - KIESHA PRESTON
Let's get coffee.